California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation Application Process for the Debt Collection Advisory Committee
The California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation is soliciting applications for members to the Debt Collection Advisory Committee.
Financial Code Section 100025 provides for a Debt Collection Advisory Committee:
- Appointed by the Commissioner to a two-year term.
- Seven members, including at least one representing consumers.
- No compensation or reimbursement of expenses.
- A minimum of two meetings per year.
- Commissioner may, by order or regulation, prescribe rules governing the committee and its members, including matters related to meetings, quorums, and actions.
The Commissioner has identified the following priorities for the industry appointments to this advisory committee:
- Location within California; geographic representation is preferred (but not required).
- Small and large agencies.
- Owner, corporate officer or senior-level employees of debt collector licensees or applicants.
- Representation of different industry segments required to be licensed, including:
- Third-party collection agencies
- Debt buying companies (preference for Receivables Management Certification Program)
- Collection law firms
- Leadership in the industry through participation in state and national trade associations.
- Direct experience working with clients, consumers, auditors, and licensing.
- Experience with types of debt collection, including financial, educational, medical, retail, municipal, others.
- Diversity of backgrounds and experiences.
Those interested in serving on the Debt Collection Advisory Committee will need to provide a statement summarizing their qualifications, or submit the available form. The statement of qualification needs to include the following:
- Name, Title, Address, Phone and Email.
- Background and areas/years of expertise.
- Experience with state or national trade associations or policy discussions regarding debt collection issues.
- Any certifications, or membership in state or national trade associations, held by the applicant or the applicant’s business.
Current terms are expiring in April of 2023. New appointments will be announced in early April of 2023 for the upcoming term.
Additional Resource Links
News & Info Links
Press Release Archives
- Press Releases 2023
- Press Releases 2022
- Press Releases 2021
- Press Releases 2020
- Press Releases 2019
- Press Releases 2018
- Press Releases 2017
- Press Releases 2016
- Press Releases 2015
- Press Releases 2014
- Press Releases 2013
- Press Releases 2009 - 2013 (Dept of Corporations)
- Press Releases 2001 - 2013 (Dept of Financial Institutions)
Help us improve the DFPI website! Share your feedback.
Approved by MLuisa 1/2021