File a Complaint
The Department of Financial Protection and Innovation (DFPI) encourages financial services consumers to submit their complaints if they believe a DFPI licensee or registrant has violated state law or acted improperly, or they believe a company or person is conducting unlicensed or unregistered activity that falls within the DFPI’s jurisdiction.
You should always file your complaint with the DFPI, regardless of whether you are trying to resolve your dispute through another forum or process. The DFPI relies on your complaints to help us protect consumers, borrowers, investors, and to obtain redress for them when victimized by unlawful, unfair or fraudulent business practices.
The DFPI evaluates and reviews complaints and takes appropriate action when it finds violations of the laws and regulations we administer. Enforcement actions may include administrative orders to: stop violations of laws; deny, suspend or revoke licenses; take possession of licensees; suspend or bar individuals from participating in a regulated industry; order refunds; and levy penalties. The DFPI also can file civil actions to stop violations of the laws, appoint receivers over companies and obtain restitution for consumers and penalties against violators.
In the event we determine that your complaint would be better addressed by another agency, we will help direct you to the proper regulatory or law enforcement agency.
Submit your complaint if it’s regarding one of the following:
- Business and Industrial Development Corporations (BIDCO)
- Credit Unions
- Foreign (Other Nation) Banks
- Foreign (Other State) Banks
- Industrial Banks
- Local Agency Security Program (LASP)
- Money Transmitters
- Premium Finance Companies
- Trust Companies and Departments
- California Finance Lenders
- California Residential Mortgage Lenders
- Capital Access Companies
- Check Sellers, Bill Payers and Proraters
- Deferred Deposit Transactions (Commonly known as Payday Loans)
- Escrow Agents/ Escrow Laws
- Investment Advisers
- Mortgage Loan Originators
- Securities Broker Dealers
- Student Loan Servicing
- PACE (Property Assessed Clean Energy) Provider
File a Complaint by Mail
To submit a complaint by mail, download, print, and fill out any the appropriate forms:
- Complaint Form – for use on a DFPI licensee (PDF)
- Complaint Form – Spanish (Formulario para quejas del consumidor al DFPI) (PDF)
- Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Complaint Form (PDF)
- Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Complaint form – Spanish (Formulario de Quejas del Consumidor) (PDF)
And mail to:
Department of Financial Protection and Innovation
Attn: Consumer Services
2101 Arena Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95834
The Department will provide a letter or email acknowledging receipt of your complaint and a description of the next steps in the complaint process.
If you need assistance with the complaint form, please call 1-866-275-2677.
Important Information on DFPI Complaint Process
- We facilitate communication between consumers and financial institutions. Complaint unit staff do not act as an advocate for either party, but the DFPI regularly reviews complaints to assess whether further action is appropriate through the DFPI’s enforcement and examination functions.
- We do not act as a court of law or as a lawyer on your behalf.
- We cannot provide legal advice.
- We do not resolve factual disputes or disagreements over the interpretation of contracts.
If the circumstances of your complaint make it advisable to consult an attorney, the California Courts Free & Low-Cost Legal Help website provides information you may find useful.
Key Consumer Links