Debt Collection Advisory Committee
On April 29, 2021, the Department announced the creation of its inaugural debt collection advisory committee, a seven-member board that will provide critical feedback to the Department as it stands up its debt collection licensing program. The diverse group includes a consumer advocate and representatives from the debt collection, debt-buying, third-party collection, and collection law industries. The committee will advise the Commissioner on matters related to the debt collection business, including proposed fee schedules and other requirements.
Upcoming Meeting Information
There is currently no upcoming meeting information.
The committee members were appointed by Commissioner Clothilde Hewlett for a two-year term according to Financial Code Section 100025 as of 5/1/2023.
As can be seen by the list below, this diverse group includes representatives from the debt collection, debt-buying, third-party collection, and collection law industries:
- Angela Reed-Becker – Equabli Inc.
- Cindy Yaklin – States Recovery Systems Inc.
- Desiree Nguyen Orth – East Bay Community Law Center
- Kali Miller – PTNSVC Mexico (Oportun, Inc.)
- Robert Tavelli – Tavelli Co., Inc.
- Scott Hyman – Severson & Werson
- Sean Welch – P & B Capital Group, LLC