The Escrow Law is contained in Division 6 (commencing with Section 17000) of the California Financial Code . The regulations are contained in Subchapter 9, Title 10, California Code of Regulations commencing with Section 1700 (10 C.C.R. § 1700, et seq.).
The Escrow Law protects members of the public who entrust their money or other assets to independent escrow agents in California. Escrow agents, joint control agents and Internet escrow agents are subject to the provisions of the Escrow Law.
Visit About Escrow Law page to know more information.
How to reach us:
Department of Financial Protection and Innovation
Financial Services Division, Escrow Law
320 West 4th Street, Suite 750
Los Angeles, CA 90013-2344
Phone: (213) 576-7500
Fax: (213) 576-7178
- 2/26/21 – The next Escrow Law Advisory Committee meeting will be on Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. PST. The meeting will be held telephonically. The call in information is on the meeting agenda. Please contact Special Administrator Paul Liang in the Los Angeles office at (213) 576-7535 if you have any questions. The AGENDA for the coming meeting (PDF) and the MINUTES for the December 8, 2020 meeting (PDF) are available.
- For Archives Click Here
- Frequently Asked Questions about Escrow Law
- Who is required to obtain a license?
- How do I apply for a license?
- Requirements after an Escrow license has been issued
Publications and Forms
- Escrow Law Reports (2007, 2009, 2010)
- Escrow Law Forms
Laws and Regulations
- About the Escrow Law
- General Definitions
- Escrow Agent’s Advisory Committee Meetings
- Escrow Agents: Employee Disciplinary Actions
- Regulations, Legislation, Opinions, Releases, Notices
Licensee Resources Companies licensed under the California Finance Lenders Law, California Deferred Deposit Transaction Law, and Escrow Law, may access the Self-Service DOCQNET Portal to submit applications for licensure, view the status of applications, submit annual report information, and update contact information.
- Consumer Information
- Online Escrow Companies
- California Escrow Association
- Escrow Institute of California
- Search for Enforcement Actions taken by California Department of Real Estate
- Search for Enforcement Actions taken by California Department of Insurance
- Escrow Agents’ Fidelity Corporation (EAFC)
Securities (Escrow Law) Forms
Department of Financial Protection and Innovation is pleased to provide links to the following forms listed below. To find which is the proper office to file your application and or notice, please refer to Commissioner’s Release 13-G (Revised) (PDF)
Note: Adobe Reader 7.x or higher is required
Escrow Agents: Employee Disciplinary Actions
List of individuals that have been censured, suspended, or barred by the California Department of Corporations pursuant to Financial Code Section 17423 of the Escrow Law from January 1, 1991 to 2012. (PDF)
To check the name of an individual who may have been disciplined by the Department of Corporations under Financial Code section 17423 prior to January 1, 1991 please contact the Consumer Services Office toll free at 1-866-275-2677.
For further information of any of the Department’s actions noted, please contact the Consumer Services Office toll free at 1-866-275-2677. Also, please visit the California Department of Insurance and California Department of Real Estate databases for additional information.
Key Consumer Links