The Escrow Law is contained in Division 6 (commencing with Section 17000) of the California Financial Code . The regulations are contained in Subchapter 9, Title 10, California Code of Regulations commencing with Section 1700 (10 C.C.R. § 1700, et seq.).
The Escrow Law protects members of the public who entrust their money or other assets to independent escrow agents in California. Escrow agents, joint control agents and Internet escrow agents are subject to the provisions of the Escrow Law.
Visit About Escrow Law page to know more information.
How to reach us:
Department of Financial Protection and Innovation
Financial Services Division, Escrow Law
320 West 4th Street, Suite 750
Los Angeles, CA 90013-2344
Phone: (213) 576-7500
Fax: (213) 576-7178
- 3/3/23 – The next Escrow Law Advisory Committee meeting will be on Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 10:00 a.m. PST. The meeting will be held at the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation’s Los Angeles office located at 320 West 4th Street, 7th floor conference room. Meeting may also be attended online at the following link: https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-teams/join-a-meeting
Meeting ID: 262 033 233 830
Please contact Special Administrator Paul Liang in the Los Angeles office at (213) 576-7535 if you have any questions. The AGENDA for the March 14, 2023 meeting (PDF) and the MINUTES for the December 20, 2022 meeting (PDF) are available.
- 3/3/2023 – There is one opening on the Escrow Advisory Committee for a representative for companies that has other ownership, such as companies owned by a real estate broker or title company. This opening will fill a vacant position’s two-year term ending in August 2024.
The Committee is established in Financial Code Section 17214. The Committee’s purpose, as designated in statute, is to assist the Commissioner in the implementation of the Commissioner’s duties under the Escrow Law. The Committee is comprised of eleven members, including the Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designee. The Commissioner appoints the Committee members, other than those representing Escrow Institute of California and Escrow Agents’ Fidelity Corporation. The Committee meets quarterly at the Department’s office. The next meeting is scheduled on March 14, 2023.
If you qualify for the above opening position, you are encouraged to apply by sending a letter of qualifications and/or resume to the attention of Paul Liang, Special Administrator at 320 West 4th Street, Suite 750, Los Angeles, California 90013. The deadline for submissions is on March 31, 2023. Should you have any questions, please contact Paul Liang at (213) 576-7535 or Paul.Liang@dfpi.ca.gov.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Escrow Law
- Who is required to obtain a license?
- How do I apply for a license?
- Requirements after an Escrow license has been issued
Publications and Forms
- Escrow Law Reports (2007, 2009, 2010)
- Escrow Bulletin – June 2010 – Issue 34 (PDF)
- Escrow Bulletin – March 2009 – Issue 33 (PDF)
- Escrow Bulletin – January 2007 – Issue 31 (PDF)
- Escrow Law Forms
Laws and Regulations
- About the Escrow Law
- General Definitions
- Escrow Agent’s Advisory Committee Meetings
- Escrow Agents: Employee Disciplinary Actions
- Regulations, Legislation, Opinions, Releases, Notices
Service Portal DOCQNET
Licensee Resources Companies licensed under the California Finance Lenders Law, California Deferred Deposit Transaction Law, and Escrow Law, may access the Self-Service DOCQNET Portal to submit applications for licensure, view the status of applications, submit annual report information, and update contact information.
- Consumer Information
- Online Escrow Companies
- California Escrow Association
- Escrow Institute of California
- Search for Enforcement Actions taken by California Department of Real Estate
- Search for Enforcement Actions taken by California Department of Insurance
- Escrow Agents’ Fidelity Corporation (EAFC)
Securities (Escrow Law) Forms
Department of Financial Protection and Innovation is pleased to provide links to the following forms listed below. To find which is the proper office to file your application and or notice, please refer to Commissioner’s Release 13-G (Revised) (PDF)
Note: Adobe Reader 7.x or higher is required
Escrow Agents: Employee Disciplinary Actions
List of individuals that have been censured, suspended, or barred by the California Department of Corporations pursuant to Financial Code Section 17423 of the Escrow Law from January 1, 1991 to 2012. (PDF)
To check the name of an individual who may have been disciplined by the Department of Corporations under Financial Code section 17423 prior to January 1, 1991 please contact the Consumer Services Office toll free at 1-866-275-2677.
For further information of any of the Department’s actions noted, please contact the Consumer Services Office toll free at 1-866-275-2677. Also, please visit the California Department of Insurance and California Department of Real Estate databases for additional information.